I’ve been thinking about casual cosplay ever since I realized that most of my current plans are, on some level, a pain in the butt to put on and take off and, in general, wear past 10 PM. Cosplay is a fundamental part of my con experience. People I meet are more likely to recognize me in a different cosplay than me in street wear. Sometimes, I want to get out of a particular cosplay, but I’m not done for the day. But I want to keep all my laziness for myself, not for giving the character less than I would if it were a more complicated design.
My casual cosplay rules:
- Most of it can be washed by machine. If it can be thrown into a machine, it probably won’t have little things that need to be repaired or touched up. If there’s a cosplay I’m staying up late working on the night before a convention, I don’t want it to be the cosplay I shouldn’t have to think about.
- Short wig. After cosplaying characters with butt-length hair for years, I don’t want to mess with being conscious of what my wig fibers are doing.
- 15 minute change time, including makeup. This is more from the perspective that the longer it takes to put something on, the more aware I probably have to be of the costume while I’m wearing it. This rules out characters with complex makeup, because I’ll probably wear a casual cosplay later at night and I have to take pity on my pores sometime. If a character has tattoos, I would probably do the vinyl and spirit gum thing like I do for Albireo’s Wave markings. No theatrical contacts is a plus.
- Character must be easy for me to portray. The process and time it takes for me to put on my cosplay and the fact that I’m conscious of wearing that character’s clothing is a huge part of what keeps me in character. But for a more comfortable cosplay, chances are good I’ll forget (or remember?) myself. So this character needs to be someone I feel like I can turn into on the fly. And most importantly…
- I can sleep in it. Although anyone who’s been in contest prep with me knows I can and will fall asleep in any cosplay, regardless of how uncomfortable it is. But I want half the work to be done for me in case there’s down time and I’m feeling a little drowsy, since I don’t touch caffeine at cons. And yes, I do test this ^_^ Usually by doing some readings for class during my cosplay test run.
Anything that should be added? Left out?